Friday, September 26, 2008

Back in the saddle

It's been way too long since I've put something on here. While I have been home for about 4 weeks now, it's taken a bit of time to settle into a groove that has a sense of normalcy to it. I hope to be able to write regularly now

A little over a week ago, one of the fellows at church gave me a copy of a new book that is out:
"Anticancer," by David Servan-Schreiber. I began to read it when I got home, and was absolutely blown away by the insights of the author. As a young PhD/MD (neuroscience/psychiatry), Servan-Schreiber found himself with a brain tumor which he had to have removed, and followed that with chemo. Six years later he had a recurrence, and followed the same protocol. That led him to ask himself why he got cancer in the first place, and what he could do to make certain it didn't return. His formidable research is the heart of this book. The end-notes themselves are worth the price of the book, but much more, the application is unbelievably helpful. If you read this book and don't find yourself changing some basic habits, I will be surprised.

As for me, I'm doing whatever I can to enable my treatment to be fully effective. At the same time, I want to do my best to help others ward off the same kind of issue. I don't want to sound like a broken record on eating right/exercising/destressing your life/and prayer, but that's pretty much the way life needs to happen. Personally, I am looking more deeply into the prayer piece at the moment. The quantifiable physical effects that result from meditation/prayer are amazing. It's no wonder Jesus spent so many nights in prayer!

Last night, Betty and I enjoyed dinner with some friends we got to know while at a Florida Proton. Steve and Nycke were on their way to Seattle for a little vacation, and decided to fly into Portland so we could get together. They are becoming quite involved in the development of the new proton center that will be opening next year in their town, Oklahoma City. They will be a tremendous blessing to the folks at that center, with Steve knowing how they work from the perspective of the patient.

God is good all the time, all the time God is good!

Be blessed, my friends,

Bill

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Pastor Bill,
I am so happy that you have decided to continue with your blog. Your insight into the importance of keeping our bodies healthy is motivating me to do the same. Thank you for sharing your journey through cancer and beyond. I eagerly await your continuation of Fit For Life Sunday at church.

Joy in Jesus,
Michelle Nicholson