Friday, March 26, 2010

Godportunities revisited

This week I heard about a most amazing way in which God worked in the life of an individual. After hearing the story, I'm sure that he did something powerful in more than one life.

I have a friend who, for a variety of reasons, is terrified of sedation. This past week, she had to have a procedure done that demanded the very thing she feared. As she lay on the table in the operating room scared to death, she revealed her struggle to her surgeon, asking for help. Instead of simply trying to talk her fears away, this angel from God masquerading as a physician took my friend's hand, and right there in the operating room, in front of the other professionals hovering around, she began to sing a hymn. After finishing that, she launched into "His Eye is on the Sparrow." Perhaps you know that old song. As she was drifting off to sleep for her procedure, my friend her these incredibly comforting words filling her ears, her room, and the lives of all present:

Why should I feel discouraged,
Why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely
And long for Heav'n and home,
When Jesus is my portion?
My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Refrain:
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

This sensitive physician obviously has a close walk with the Lord. She senses when doors fly open, and she walks right through. May we all be encouraged by such a great model!

Have a wonderful weekend, filled with "Godportunities"

Bill

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You have such a way of conveying a story to where it hits home right to the heart of the matter. Please keep posting as often as you can.

Michelle

Sherri B. said...

What a great experience it was indeed. I was in the surgery waiting room when that surgeon came beaming out to report the sucess of the procedure and to tell, with great joy, the hymns that she sang. What a blessing to know that The Lord is guiding those loving hands.