Thursday, August 4, 2011

Peace, peace, when there is no peace...

How do you experience peace when it seems to be in such short supply? Indeed, it seems like the deck is stacked against having any peace in our hearts at all. If you dare to watch the daily news, it's little more than a police blotter and reasons for despair. As if living in a land of tightening our belts ever more daily wasn't enough, we're informed over, and over, and over, and over, and over again just how bad things are. If your job doesn't get you, then the tumbling of the stock market will. If the spoiled turkey doesn't upset your stomach, then the latest child kidnapping will. How does a person hope to sleep at night?

Believe it or not, it isn't all that difficult. It boils down to a simple trust in the Lord. When he was just hours away from his crucifixion, Jesus said, "These things I have spoken to you that in me you might have peace; in the world you will have tribulation, but cheer up, I have overcome the world." (John 16.33) Wow!

People can debate putting their faith in Jesus til the cows come home, but I've got to tell you this: I'd much rather find peace in him personally then have one more debate over who he really is. He said he was God, then he proved it in more ways that can be counted. So if he says if we put our faith in him, we will find peace (and life, joy, comfort, and a boatload of other good things), I believe him. I take him at his word.

The deal about a simple faith in Jesus is this. Either what he says is true, or it isn't. Either we can find peace, or we can't. There's no door #3. For me, I choose to believe him. So even when I find myself navigating the white waters of life, I know that if I just rest in him, his power, promises, and presence, I will find peace. I hope you'll join me in that decision, and find peace, no matter what's going on around you!

Be blessed!

2 comments:

Sherri B. said...

As I type this comment, the Dow is now down 400 points...did you hear that flushing sound? Yes, that is our retirement going down the tiolet! I'm with you, I will put my trust in Jesus everytime!

Thanks for the great post...I really needed it this morning!

Ann said...

So true, Bill! I know it from personal experience, as you do.

Ps 112:7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.

Ps 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.