Saturday, July 25, 2009

The heavens declare the glory of God


When I look at what God has created, I'm reminded of the words of David: "What is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you visit him?" (Ps. 8.4) Truly, "the heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork." Considering all the beauty he has created, it's remarkable that he cares about you and me!

Over the fourth of July, Betty and I had the opportunity to spend time in Central Oregon. Among other places, we visited the "painted hills" just outside Mitchell. This picture doesn't begin to do justice to the overwhelming beauty of the landscape, but at least it gives a hint. As we approached the main section, the colors were so varied and striking that Betty was convinced someone had come in at night and spray painted all of them. In truth, someone had: God!

One more time I was speechless in beholding God's creation. Amazing. Then to think that he cares about me, and each one of us individually, makes it even more amazing. What a God he is!

As we continue through the course of this Summer, my hope is that you take time to "smell the flowers," drink in all God has put before you that help you see him, and his marvelous created order. As you do, take some time to give thanks!

No comments: