Monday, May 11, 2009

The Lord is on our side...

The last few weeks have been particularly challenging. As I have pondered the "why" of my emotions, I am certain it has to do with the journey I've been on myself with prostate cancer, and the thoughts and feelings that has triggered. If you've "been there, done that," I'm certain you can relate.

So why have the last couple of weeks been particularly heavy for me? Because it seems as though the list of people I know who are fighting the same kind of battle is increasing exponentially. Betty and I pray for each one every day, and our list just keeps growing. Add to this the fact that at this very moment, in spite of all he has been doing, one of the guys has seen his colon cancer spreading exceptionally fast, a young mom with three beautiful kids just found out she has breast cancer, and a father of two healthy young kids has found he has prostate cancer. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

I must say, if I were to allow myself to sink into the flesh, it would be overwhelming.

That's why God's Word is so powerful, particularly at times like this. When I find myself beginning to feel the sting of defeat, I find great solace in God's Word, like Psalm 124:

"'If it had not been the Lord who was on our side,'let Israel now say - 'if it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us, then they would have swallowed us alive, when their wrath was kindled against us; then the waters would have overwhelmed us, the stream would have gone over our soul; then the swollen waters would have gone over our soul.' Blessed be the Lord, who has not given us as prey to their teeth. Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the flowers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

That, my friends, is THE answer: our help is in the name of the Lord! It is true that in the world we will have trials. But it is also true that we can rejoice, because our God has overcome the world and all it can throw at us! Praise God!

2 comments:

Susan said...

We understand how you are feeling. Sometimes it seems hopeless so it is encouraging to receive your message of Psalm 124. Susan and Walt.

The Chicken Lady said...

Bill, thanks for reminding me that it's so easy to focus on the bad things that are in our lives/world. It's so easy to BLAME or ask God why. I sometimes need little reminders that He is in charge of ALL that happens. The bad AND the good.
We lost Travis' mom to breast cancer several years ago when she was only 48 years old. It was devastating, but as believers, we know where she is now and we rejoice that we will see her again.
I'll pray for your continued strength - physical and emotional. Hugs to you and Betty!