Thursday, July 17, 2008

The "dailyness" of it all...

Even though Bill has referred to our experience here in Jacksonville as a “radiation vacation,” our days have a kind of routine and sameness that seem more like being home than being on a true vacation. There are still meals to cook, groceries to buy, clothes to wash and iron, dirty floors to vacuum and mop.

One activity that is new to me that I am enjoying immensely is pilates. Not to be confused with the “Pontius” variety, pilates is a system of exercise founded on strengthening the core muscles and exercising the rest of the body, both for strength and flexibility. Speaking from my lengthy 5-day experience, I may be describing this incorrectly, but suffice it to say, I am hooked. I hope to learn the basics well enough to be able to follow an instructor on a DVD when we return home. For now, we do pilates 3 days a week at the Jax Y. The other couple of days we go to a class led by “Killer Betty,” not to be confused with yours truly. KB is an 84 year-old lady who’s in better shape than most 30 year-olds I know. And finally there is a class by Traci. I don’t know what Bill and I are doing there—he’s the only male, and I’m the only one with gray hair. But they put up with us and don’t even laugh as we hobble out the door clutching our thighs. So forget the old dogs and new tricks saying. Definitely not true at all!

Thanking God for what He is providing in this place,
Betty (not THE Betty; just B-)

4 comments:

Tim said...

Nice to hear from you Betty.It sounds like you are both assimilating to the new environment quite well. I wanted to mention to you guys that there is quite an article on "The Shack" and Paul Young in today's Portland Tribune. You can see it on-line at www.portlandtribune.com and click on the Entertainment tab on the top. Back to work now. Enjoy the day!
Tim

mmmmm said...

Ok Pastor Bill & Betty I'm finally caught up on your radiation adventure. Thank you for blogging it is great to read all that the Lord is doing and the lives you are touching in JAX. Now you know what true rain and humidity are, when the PNWers complain you can just smile. After living 10 years in Ohio where it really rains and there is real humidity it is a joy to be back home. We miss you and pray for your daily.

Walt of Battle Ground WA said...

I did a quick internet search on Pilates. Wikipedia has a great overview of it. I learned that it was invented by Joseph Pilates during the First World War and used as a way to rehabilitate returning veterans. It sounds quite in-depth, based on the key words used in the definition: ‘control’, ‘breathing’, ‘mind over matter’, ‘concentration’ and ‘precision’. I don’t know if it’s for me – I can’t even squat without falling over! Although I did try ballet once – it was mandated from my High School track coach for improving on the high jump (good ol Father Kenny).

A month or so ago, Sue started QiGong (chee gong), which has some similar traits, but is scaled way back on the physical or endurance aspects. Her Naturopathic from Providence Cancer Center recommended it and she really is into now, using a DVD to as her guide. Have a great weekend. Walt (and Sue).

Pastor Bill said...

Walt:

It sounds like you are the perfect student for Pilates. It would help you develop what you feel is lacking. You'd just need to be in a beginner's class. I took it years ago, but it was in a somewhat different format, so it's like I'm starting all over again. But I can tell you first-hand, it's really terrific.