Monday, July 14, 2008

Something for everybody...

When I saw the basketball-looking fruit at the Farmer's Market this afternoon, I immediately thought about my wonderful friend Ralph. I knew he would be delighted to find out that this "Jack Fruit" is a relative of the Durian - same incredibly putrid smell and let us say "unique" taste, kind of a combo of sweet cream and onions. Need I say more? Ralph and I have been known to indulge in a bit of Durian while in Indonesia before they began to ban it from hotels due to the smell (true story). Brings back all sorts of memories.

The Farmer's Market is delightful, and we get wonderful, fresh produce to enjoy at home.
Unlike many of these markets, this one is open seven days a week. You never know what's going to be there from day to day. I must say, the peaches from South Carolina are absolutely delicious. Makes my mouth water even to think about them. Betty is threatening to make one of her killer cobblers. Stay tuned.

You have no idea how much we appreciate the many words of encouragement and joy we are receiving from home. It sounds like summer is very "on" in the PNW, and that everybody is taking full advantage of it. And what we hear about the church delights us to no end. That's what a real church looks like - people stepping up and finding where they fit in, encouraging and being encouraged, looking for avenues to serve. The guys who have come in to speak have been nothing short of spectacular, and there is a whole group lined up to follow that will knock your socks off. Wow! I am so blessed to have such great friends in ministry!

One of the lessons I am working on here is simply resting in the Lord, rejoicing in what he is doing, and not sweating the small things. Actually that's harder said than done around here because you pretty much sweat all the time! Or is that glisten? Whatever, it would be easy to get all torqued because something like my appointments in the Gantry shift so much from day to day, not giving much room for planning. But in the grand sweep of things, what's the point of going there? The simple truth is God has given me the time and the place for healing. The actual appointment time is truly irrelevant. I'm working on rejoicing in what is and not getting caught up in what I think should be. (don't remind me of that when I'm fuming tomorrow! lol) My appt went off flawlessly today at 11:15. Tomorrow it's at 3:45, though they said it may change to the morning. We'll see. Isn't therapy fun?

May your new day bring you endless delight!

Bill

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What an incredible line-up this summer at the church. It's like we're being treated to some of the best speakers in America. People are flocking to the bookstore to get copies of the sermons. Your going to have to step it up a little when you get back dude..LOL LOL just kidding, they have nothing on you! We love and miss you guys!

Pastor Bill said...

I hope you noticed what surrounded the featured "Jack's Fruit" in the picture. I think half the market has something to do with peppers!

Oma6xs said...

Boy, I hear what you're saying about how hard it is to rest, so much to do and so little time. You have a beautiful place to learn that lesson though, and so many more I'm sure. We all look forward to what you will have to teach us about rest and trust when you return.
Karen O