Sunday, July 20, 2008

My favorite day is Sunday

Today we worshiped at Calvary Chapel Jacksonville, the church we’ve been attending since arriving here in late June. It is an excited, welcoming, Word-centered, worship-loving group of believers founded in 1999 by the current pastor Keith Pintar. What a wonderful opportunity for us to experience being newcomers in a church. Whether the fellowship is large or small, it’s intimidating to walk in the door and not know where to find the sanctuary and the bathrooms.

Here at “CC Jax” we’ve found like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ who have reached out to us with their hands and their hearts. And our attempts to reach back have been well received. It’s been confirmed again that service and small group involvement are the guaranteed ways to become folded into a fellowship. We’ve also learned first-hand how precious is a gesture of welcome to those who are experiencing the confusion of an unfamiliar facility and new faces, where everyone seems to have a sense belonging—everyone but US! When we return home, I hope to keep these impressions in the forefront of my mind and be just a bit more intentional about extending myself to newcomers.

Betty

3 comments:

Doug Ritchie said...

Are you going to speak at a service at CC JAX? Knowing you as well as I do, it would seem difficult to not do that. But then again, they are supposed to ask you. I am sure it would be a treat for you to do so.

Pastor Bill said...

Actually they have asked me to speak at CC JAX on August 3. I already led the church in communion week before last. It's a great group of people! One of the guys in the church is off and on the Long Ball Champion for the PGA. That organization if headquartered about 10 miles from the church (in Ponte Vedra on the Players golf course).

Anonymous said...

Our family visited Crossroads for the first time on Sunday. I want to say how nicely welcomed we were by the ushers/greeters. When I was looking around, evidently with a confusing look on my face, the usher asked if she could help me find something and pointed me in the direction of the restroom. :) We have visited smaller churches (where visitors should have been obvious) but no one ever talked to us. This is so sad, especially if the visitors are not Christians already. We were impressed that at Crossroads, Pastor Bill meets with visitors after the service. That is wonderful!